After months of covering up, spring is the time to show off some skin…and your gorgeous new ‘do! From modified mullets to textured cuts, spring hair is all about fun cuts that show off shiny, healthy hair.
If you’re still on the fence about choosing a spring hairstyle, try to improve the condition of your hair first; that will give your stylist the best of idea of what they have to work with!
Read on for some of the key spring hair styles you’ll see everywhere this season.
1. Bouncy, blown out hair styles: One of the biggest hair trends for spring 2022 according to celebrity stylist Brittany Harrington will be bouncy blown out hair styles with more softly curled ends. Harrington explains that will be a departure from the look of “piece-y curled hair with straight ends.” In other words, for spring you can expect a blowout that’s softer and more organic looking instead of an obviously styled look.
Products to try: To protect hair from heat before styling, apply Smooth Moves™ Anti Frizz Priming Cream as your heat protector for hair while adding shine and controlling frizz. If you find it challenging to add volume to your hair, try Plump for Joy® Thickening Hair Lifter which volumizes flat, thin hair.
2. A high and bouncy ponytail. Speaking of bouncy, if you prefer a sleeker pulled back look, consider this: one of the chicest looks this season is a classic ponytail. Simply pull your hair back and secure with a scrunchie for ‘90s inspired cool. If you’re trying for an evening look, pull some tendrils or front pieces forward.
Products to try: Since ponytails by nature have a lot of motion at any given time, make sure to finish your style with She's A Tease® Hairspray which will keep your hair looking perfect all day long. For a polished look, try adding a small amount of Smooth Moves™ Anti Frizz Shine Serum to tame flyaways.
3. Multi-dimensional blondes. Now that we’re spending more time at the salon, instead of strictly at-home color, more sophisticated color is back. Harrington said, “Adding both highlights and lowlights not only adds dimension to a multitude of blonde tones but is also less damaging.” If you’re thinking of going blonde this spring, you can read up on how to maintain your fabulous blonde hair for some tips.
Products to try: Blonde hair can need a bit of extra TLC since hair damage can be harder to disguise. Try our Blonde Moment™ collection's Purple Treatment Shampoo and Purple Treatment Conditioner to maintain your blonde between salon visits. For a boost of softness while you reduce brassiness, try Blonde Moment™ Purple Toning Hair Mask. Like all Not Your Mother’s products, the Blonde Moment™ collection is sulfate surfactant free, paraben free, and cruelty free, so your hair is pampered and prepped without the harsh chemicals.
4. Every type of bob. While classic bobs will always be in style, this spring you’ll be seeing everything from choppy, wavy bobs, to shorter than ever bobbed hair. It’s a cute way to segue to summer weather. Add a few highlights in trendy hair colors like ginger or caramel for an extra wow.
Products to try: No matter your hair length or texture, bobs look best when you control frizz. Try Smooth Moves™ 7 Second Magic Hair Rinse for a quick rinse shine boost.
5. The wolf cut. If you’re not a fan of the updated mullet look, but still really want to try out fun trendy hair styles, consider this option instead. The wolf cut is a shaggy, layered look that adds an effortlessly cool vibe to any hair type. “This trendy cut offers dimension, movement and lots of layers,” said Harrington. Interestingly enough, the wolf cut has shown up most often with unexpected spring hair colors – all shades of brunette. Read up on how to maintain your rich brunette locks.
Products to try: Whether your brunette hair was gifted to you by Mother Nature – or an expert colorist – it’s important to use products that help keep your color looking great. Our Triple Threat Brunette™ collection includes Blue Treatment Shampoo and Blue Treatment Conditioner in your weekly haircare routine and Triple Threat Brunette™ Blue Toning Hair Mask for when you need an extra toning boost with added softness.
6. All the curls. One of the most exciting movements is showing off your natural curls, coils, and waves. If you haven’t shaped your hair in a while, make sure to get a pro haircut that shows off your texture.
Shags, bobs, and cute updos look super cute on curly hair, though product buildup does not. Spend a bit more time on scalp care for the best curls ever.
Products to try: If you use a lot of products to keep your curls and coils looking amazing, you’ll need a scalp scrub or cleansing oil to keep buildup from taking over your scalp. To make sure you tackle all areas of your scalp, divide hair into sections before using either the Curl Talk™ Exfoliating Scalp Scrub for a deep exfoliation or the Curl Talk™ Scalp Care Cleansing Oil for a gentle cleanse. Tackling buildup with a pre-shampoo treatment like this can really help break down any remaining product that might be weighing your hair down. Our entire Curl Talk™ line is sulfate surfactant free, paraben free, silicone free, and drying alcohol free, meaning your curls will love the ingredient list just as much as the results. Not sure what type of curly hair you have? Find out with our guid to Curly Hair 101.