Imagine how boring life would be if you could choose only one dessert to eat for the rest of your life. How would you even begin to choose between a life of lemon bars but no brownies? Thankfully, you don’t have to choose a single dessert for all eternity. Even better for your hair (and good hair days ahead!), you’re not stuck with only one shampoo or conditioner forever.
How do you know it’s time for a new shampoo or conditioner?
If the shampoo that once left your color-treated brunette hair looking radiant now leaves your locks looking dull, it’s time to try something new. And if your wavy hair or curly (or coily!) hair looks more flat than fabulous, you really should consider a new conditioner.
Because it’s so hard to leave your favorite product for a new one, we asked our resident expert for some advice on when to start looking for a change, you can see some of her tips below. But how do you know it’s time for a change? Well, if your dry hair still looks dry after a moisturizing treatment, that’s a good hint your product has stopped working. And if all the anti-frizz products in the world do nothing for your frizzy hair, well, yeah. It’s time for something better.
Also worth noting, most color-treated hair can be considered damaged hair (we were shocked to learn that as well), but that doesn’t mean it should look that way!
Pay attention to what your hair is telling you
Using the same shampoo and conditioner all the time may work for some people. That doesn’t mean your hair will love the same routine year after year after year. If you notice that your hair doesn’t look quite as fabulous as it used to, a new shampoo might do the trick.
“Hair is always undergoing changes (trims, dye jobs, heat, and humidity) and your routine may need to be revised to best work for the current state your hair is in,” said Madison Keene, Research & Development Applications Manager for Not Your Mother’s.
If you’re noticing hair looking limp or feeling a little weighed down, Keene said that “it may be time to switch up and incorporate a lighter, more clarifying shampoo. Keene likes the way Activated Bamboo Charcoal & Purple Moonstone Shampoo almost gives you “a nice clean slate.” Besides, “hair routines are meant to be customized,” so there’s no need to follow the rigid routine of your BFF, instead find your own. Keene said she always finds that “rotating products keeps hair balanced and looking fresh without becoming weighed down or too dry.”
Mix and match products to find what’s best for you
While most hair products (including ours!) are designed to work best when used together, there’s no rule that says you can’t mix and match for best results. Keene explained that “most times, the products are best suited for use on the particular type of hair that’s stated on the package. However, nothing says you can’t combine!” Keep an eye out for whether the items are designed with similar benefits in mind. Keene said something like a moisture shampoo combined with a hydrating curl conditioner should work well together.
The only time to avoid randomly mixing and matching products is when they have opposing benefits listed. So, for instance, Keene said to keep an eye out and not combine a clarifying shampoo with a deep conditioner since “the benefits will be less perceivable.” A safe tip is to keep an eye out for products with the same benefits. “As long as the items are working towards the same common goals (i.e., curls, moisture, volume), you are free to mix and match!” Keene said.
Have fun, improve your mood
Still not sure when you need an update? Keene said “just like our skincare routine sometimes needs to be altered, our haircare routine may benefit from some new incorporations!” More than anything, “Have fun customizing your routine to fit the end result you’re looking for – whatever you’re feeling that day!”
We’re really proud of the fact that all our products are sulfate surfactant free, paraben free, and color safe. You’ll also find many of our products are also silicone free and vegan! Which means that once you find the products for you, your hair will thank you.
Looking to add some new products to your routine? Mix up your hair routine by trying one of these:
Curly Hair Types
- Curl Talk™ Gentle Shampoo and 3-in-1 Conditioner: Sometimes your waves, curls, and coils need a bit extra love (and protein). Try these two out for an option with our Rice Curl Complex that contains lightweight protein!
- Tahitian Gardenia Flower & Mango Butter Curl Defining Shampoo and Conditioner adds a moisture boost to curly hair. This shampoo and conditioner combo also helps enhance and define curls!
- Even the sleekest hair can use some help taming frizz sometimes. Try using Smooth Moves™ Anti Frizz Shampoo and Conditioner that helps achieve shinier, smoother, frizz-controlled hair with our FrizzLock Complex™ - a vegan protein blend that replaces animal derived keratin.
- For when you’ve overdone the blow-drying or used your straightening iron overzealously, Rice Water & Himalayan Moringa Shampoo and Conditioner will pamper your hair until it’s shinier, stronger and in better condition.
- Used together, Royal Honey & Kalahari Desert Melon Repair & Nourish Shampoo and Conditioner are great for when your hair needs a bit more moisture, but not anything too intense. These products also help to repair and prevent signs of dryness!
- Fight brassiness and maintain your natural, dyed, or highlighted blonde hair with Blonde Moment™ Shampoo and moisturize your freshly toned hair with the matching Purple Conditioner for best results.
- If your chestnut tresses are looking more meh than ahhh, you can swap out Triple Threat Brunette™ Shampoo and Conditioner for brunettes as a portion of your routine. The rest of the time you can use the product that addresses your other hair concerns.
Sometimes baby fine hair needs a moisture infusion. We love the way Blue Sea Kale & Pure Coconut Water Weightless Hydration Shampoo and Conditioner feels completely weightless, even as it delivers a dose of hydration to the hair. This duo is packed with vitamins and electrolyte minerals for hair that looks as good as it feels.